Congenital heart disease is the most common form of birth defect. Thanks to modern-day advances in medical and surgical care, most children born with serious congenital heart defects survive long into adulthood.
In the US, there are now more adults with congenital heart disease than children. This is evidence of phenomenal medical successes, but also means that many adults with congenital heart disease require lifelong care to live a long and healthy life.
Personalized Care for Life
The Weill Cornell Center for Adult Congenital Heart Disease provides individualized care for adult patients with congenital heart disease. Our specialized care maximizes the cardiac health and social well-being of our patients.
We offer patients:
- Consultative services, including outpatient and inpatient
- The most advanced imaging technology for diagnosis (3D-echocardiography, intracardiac echo, cardiac MRI, and cardiac CT)
- Cutting-edge minimally invasive surgical options
- Comprehensive cardiac and medical management
- Therapeutic interventional cardiac catheterization and electrophysiology therapeutics
- Partnership with surgical specialists with expertise in congenital heart disease and perioperative management
- High-risk obstetrics and gynecology consultative services
- Transition clinic for young adults with congenital heart disease (in partnership with Cornell Pediatrics Cardiology)
Conditions and Treatments
We treat all conditions and disease related to Adult Congenital Heart Disease, including:
- Anomalous pulmonary venous connections
- Anomalous coronary artery disease
- Aortic valve disease
- Atrial septal defect (ASD)
- Coarctation of the aorta
- Complex congenital heart disease
- Coronary anomalies
- Ebstein’s anomaly
- Patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)
- Patent foramen ovale (PFO)
- Pulmonary hypertension associated with congenital heart disease (Eisenmenger syndrome)
- Pulmonary regurgitation
- Pulmonary stenosis
- Single ventricle
- Tetralogy of Fallot
- Transposition of the great arteries (TGA)
- Tricuspid atresia
- Truncus arteriosus
- Ventricular septal defect (VSD)
Treatments available at Weill Cornell Medicine
Our cardiac interventional team offers expertise in performing minimally invasive and hybrid interventions in congenital heart disease including:
Percutaneous closure of:
- Atrial septal defects
- Patent ductus arteriosus
- Patent foramen ovale
- Vascular and coronary fistulas
- Ventricular septal defects
Angioplasty and stenting:
- Aortic coarctation
- Pulmonary arterial stenosis
- Pulmonary vein stenosis
- Transcatheter valve replacement & repair.
- Balloon valvuloplasty
Complex congenital heart disease procedures:
- Baffle Stenting (e.g. SVC baffle stenosis)
- Fontan interventions
- Clinical Adult Congenital Cardiologists: Harsimran Singh, M.D., Su Yuan, M.D.
- Congenital/Adult Heart Surgeons: Leonard N. Girardi, M.D., Emile Bacha, M.D., Andrew Goldstone, M.D., Erin Iannacone, M.D., David Kalfa, M.D., Ph.D., John Karamichalis, MD, Christopher Lau, M.D., Stephanie Mick, M.D., and Yoshi Naka, MD
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy: Udhay Krishnan, M.D., Su Yuan, M.D., Evelyn Horn, M.D., and Harsimran Singh, M.D.
- Congenital Interventional Cardiology Team: Harsimran Singh, M.D. and Ralf Hozer, M.D.
- Marfan’s Clinic / Aortic Disease: Richard Devereux, M.D., Nupoor Narula, and Mary Roman, M.D.
- Medical Genetics: Christopher Cunniff, M.D.
- MRI / CT: Jonathan Weinsaft, M.D., Jiwon Kim, M.D., Quynh A. Truong, M.D., Danny Green, M.D., and Larry Latson, M.D..
- Pediatric Cardiology Team: Ralf Hozer, M.D., Seema Abraham, M.B.,B.S., Sheila J. Carroll, M.D., Jeffrey Dayton, M.D., Patrick A. Flynn, M.D., Jeffrey Howard Kern, M.D. Soultana Kourtidou, M.D., Nao Sasaki, M.D.
- Pregnancy & Heart Disease: Su Yuan, M.D., Evelyn Horn, M.D., Inna Landres, M.D., Sharon E. Abramovitz, M.D., Harsimran Singh, M.D.
- Pulmonary Hypertension (Eisenmenger Syndrome): Evelyn Horn, M.D., Parag Goyal, M.D., Udhay Krishnan, M.D., Maria Karas, M.D., Irina Sobol, M.D., David Majure, M.D., Daniel Lu, M.D.
- Cardiac Care Associates for Adult Congenital Heart Disease: Jillian Nati, NP, Morgan Burrell, NP, Caroline Lillicraf, RN, Natalia Rojas, RN, Donna Marotti, RDCS (AE, PE), RVT, FASE, Regina Pascale, RCS, Zhibin Li, RDCS, RDMS, Laura Byrne RDCS, and Xinyue Zhou RDCS, RVT