Congenital heart disease including malformations of the heart or major blood vessels is the most common form of birth defect. Thanks to modern day advances in the medical and surgical care, most children born with serious congenital heart defects now survive long into adulthood.
In the US, there are now more adults with congenital heart disease than children. While this represents a phenomenal medical success story, many adults with congenital heart disease require lifelong care and follow-up with the goal of living a long and healthy life.
The Cornell Center for Adult Congenital Heart Disease at Weill Cornell Medical College, New York Presbyterian Hospital offers personalized, lifelong care for adult patients with congenital heart disease. We provide a full range of inpatient and outpatient clinical services and diagnostics including cardiac catheterization and surgical repair. We offer particular expertise in minimally invasive treatment strategies for congenital heart disease. Our mission is to maximize both the cardiac health and social well-being for our congenital heart disease patients
- Consultative - outpatient and inpatient
- Multimodality diagnostic testing
- Comprehensive cardiac and medical management
- Therapeutic interventional cardiac catheterization and electrophysiology therapeutics
- Partnership with surgical specialties with expertise in congenital heart disease and perioperative management
- High risk obstetrics & gynecology consultative services
- Transition clinic for young adults with congenital heart disease (in joint collaboration with Cornell Pediatrics Cardiology)
Our Adult Congenital Heart Disease team includes specialists from multiple disciplines including clinical consultants in adult & pediatric cardiology, heart failure, pulmonary hypertension, high-risk obstetrics, neurology, and pulmonary medicine. We utilize the latest technologies and multimodality imaging to aid in the diagnosis of our patients including 3D-echocardiography, intracardiac echo, cardiac MRI, and cardiac CT.
Specialists in congenital electrophysiology with state-of-the-art arrhythmia mapping systems offer potential curative therapies for life-threatening arrhythmias. The cardiac interventional program offers non-surgical and minimally invasive solutions for repair of congenital cardiac defects. Our cardiothoracic surgeons specializing in adult congenital heart disease and congenital cardiac anatomy are world renown.
- Clinical Adult Congenital Cardiologists: Harsimran Singh, M.D., David Skorton, M.D.
- Congenital Heart Surgeons: O. Wayne Isom, M.D., Emile Bacha, M.D. and Paul Chai, M.D.
- Interventional Cardiology Team for Adult Congenital Interventions: Geoffrey Bergman, M.D., Harsimran Singh, M.D.
- Marfan’s Clinic / Aortic Disease: Richard Devereux, M.D., Mary Roman, M.D.
- Medical Genetics: Jessica G. Davis, M.D.
- MRI / CT: Jonathan Weinsaft, M.D.
- Pediatric Cardiology Team: Seema Abraham, M.B.,B.S., Sheila J. Carroll, M.D., Jeffrey Dayton, M.D., Patrick A. Flynn, M.D., Jeffrey Howard Kern, M.D. and Leonard G. Steinberg, M.D.
- Pregnancy & Heart Disease: Evelyn Horn, M.D., Harsimran Singh, M.D.
- Pulmonary Hypertension (Eisenmenger Syndrome): Evelyn Horn, M.D., Maria Karas, M.D., Irina Sobol, M.D.
- Cardiac Care Associates for Adult Congenital Heart Disease: Maria Spinelli, R.N., Donna Marotti, RDCS, FASE
Conditions & Diseases:
At Weill Cornell, we specialize in the treatment of all forms of adult congenital heart disease, including but not limited to:
- Anomalous pulmonary venous connections
- Aortic valve disease
- Atrial septal defect (ASD)
- Coarctation of the aorta
- Complex congenital heart disease
- Coronary anomalies
- Patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)
- Patent foramen ovale (PFO)
- Pulmonary hypertension associated with congenital heart disease (Eisenmenger syndrome)
- Pulmonary stenosis
- Single ventricle
- Tetralogy of Fallot
- Transposition of the great arteries (TGA)
- Tricuspid atresia
- Truncus arteriosus
- Ventricular septal defect (VSD)
Congenital Heart Disease Interventions
Our cardiac interventional team offers expertise in performing minimally invasive and hybrid interventions in congenital heart disease including:
Percutaneous closure of
- Atrial septal defects,
- Patent ductus arteriosus
- Patent foramen ovale
- Vascular and coronary fistulas
- Ventricular septal defects
- Balloon valvuloplasty
- Transcatheter valve replacement
Angioplasty & Stenting
- Aortic coarctation
- Pulmonary arteries
- Pulmonary veins
Interventions in complex congenital heart disease
- Baffle stenting
- Collateral closure
Request an Appointment
To make an appointment to see one of our physicians with expertise in Adult Congenital Heart Disease:
- Contact our physician offices directly by calling: 646-962-ACHD (2243)
- If you are already an established patient: You can request an appointment online, using Weill Cornell Connect. We will make every effort to contact you within 24 hours.
Our staff is here to help coordinate your care. They will provide you with information on our physicians, their areas of expertise and help arrange for your visit and testing as needed.